Follow Me on Pinterest
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Rice Salad

Anytime we have a family gathering rice salad is always a part of the meal.  When I learned I have a milk allergy I thought rice salad was a thing of the past.  I have since discovered Healthy Whip and it makes a great subsitute for the Cool Whip that I used to use in the recipe below.  I can find Healthy Whip at Akins or Whole Foods.  This recipe is also Gluten Free!!

--2 Cups of cooked rice
--1/2 bag of miniature marshmellows
--1 large can of pinapples (chunks or pieces will work)
--2 cans of mandarin oranges (if using the small cans then use 3)
--1 container of Healthy Whip

First thing put the Healthy Whip in the refrigerator and allow to chill for at least 30 minutes.  You are going to use a hand-help mixer so place the beaters in the freezer.  You want them really cold when you whip-up the Healthy Whip.  Next, cook rice according to box directions.  While rice is cooking drain the cans of fruit.  I leave the strainer over the sink for a while to let the most juice possible drain out.  When rice is done put in a large bowl and allow to cool.  When rice is still a tad warm add marshmellows and stir.  When rice is no longer warm then add fruit.  I place the large bowl with the rice/fruit in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to allow it to get cold.  Lastly, follow the directions on the box for the Healthy Whip.  Add 3/4 of the Whip to the rice salad and stir.  Place the Rice Salad in a sealable container and keep in refrigerator. 

The extra Whip can be kept in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.  We use the extra for the topping on strawberry shortcake, as a topping for ice cream or we dip graham crackers/fruit in it:). 

I hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment